Thursday, March 7, 2013

Classics Spin



The Classics Club is hosting a classics spin! I found out about it through Délaissé's blog.

List your choice of any twenty books you have left to read from your Classics Club list – in a separate post.

This is your Spin List. You have to read one of these twenty books in February & March. (Details follow.) So, try to challenge yourself. For example, you could list five Classics Club books you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)

Next Monday, we’ll post a number from 1 through 20. The challenge is to read whatever book falls under that number on your Spin List, by April 1. We’ll have a check in or something in April, to see who made it the whole way and finished the spin book.

Okay, so since I'm late beginning this challenge (it began on February 18), I'm changing the date from April 1 to April 18. That way, I still have 6 weeks to read it. Here's the list I made up (and I swear on the life of my pets that I did not cheat by looking at the spin number first!; What fun would that have been?)

5 Books I'm Dreading:
1. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
2. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
3. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
4. Metamorphoses by Ovid
5. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

5 Books I Can't Wait to Read
6. Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier
7. The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald
8. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
9. Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol
10. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

5 Book I'm Neutral About
11. Emma by Jane Austen
12. Wasteland by T.S. Eliot
13. I, Claudius by Robert Graves
14. Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen
15. Tess of D' Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

5 Free Choice Books
16. The Reivers by William Faulkner
17. The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse
18. The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald
19. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L' Engle
20. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

**************************************************************************************

And the spin number is . . . . . . . . . . . 14!!

My book will be Out of Africa, one of my neutral books.











I'm so excited about this challenge! I really haven't been doing well with my Classics Club list, but I really want to turn that around this year. And to prove how serious I am, I'm not taking part in any other reading challenges in the blogosphere this year (the only other challenges I'm taking part in are the two seasonal challenges hosted by my favorite Goodreads group, which I have almost always participated in since I joined the group three years ago and the Rory Gilmore Challenge, which is more or less a work-at-my-own-pace challenge with no deadline).



1 comment:

  1. I loved reading the Count of Monte cristo! Even though it took me a while to finish it.
    I'm also a fan of Du Maurier!

    ReplyDelete