Friday, September 30, 2011

Some Awesome Banned Books

Here are some of the banned/challenged books I love that have been challenged in the past decade (you can find the entire list of banned books here):

Update: The list above was only for 2000-2009 but I found two other lists for 2009-2010 and 2010-2011, and I added books from those lists as links.



   
 


 And, of course, the Harry Potter series (I was having too hard of a time getting the image to line up, so I decided to just give the link)

Also:
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Winterson
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
Vegan Virgin Valentine by Carolyn Mackler
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

Here's a list of recently challenged books that I want to read:

The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Beloved by Toni Morrison
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott
Staying Fat for Sara Byrnes by Chris Crutcher
And Tango Makes Three by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson (I read a post at Let's Book It about this book for banned book week that convinced me to read this sweet picture book about the true story of two male penguins at the Central Park Zoo that raise a chick as their own)

2 comments: