Monday, October 28, 2019

Dewey's 24 Hour Readthon - Closing Post

Image result for dewey's 24 hour readathon

WRAP-UP SURVEY

1.) How would you assess your reading overall?

Overall, I'm happy with what I'd gotten read, despite quite a few interruptions throughout the day. I didn't do the math to figure out the number of pages since a couple of my books were unnumbered and I listened to a few read alouds of children's books - plus, I'm just too lazy to look up all those page numbers and add them together. 

I think I 'read' somewhere around 700 pages overall, including the read alouds, though. 

2.) Did you have a strategy, and if so, did you stick to it?

My strategy was to try the Storyline Online site when I got tired of reading so I could have a little break but still increase my page count at the same time. I really enjoyed it! It's such a great site to use for these read-a-thons and I will definitely be employing this strategy again at the next read-a-thon. 


3.) What was your favorite snack?

All I really had was Taco Bell. I had coffee in the morning and then went out to grab some things from Taco Bell's dollar menu and side items (spicy potato taco, pintos & cheese, nachos). Mostly, I just enjoyed coffee and tea with heaver creamers throughout the day. 


*************************************************************


The print books I read are: 


The Lottery: The Authorized Graphic Novel by Shirley Jackson, illustrated by Miles Hyman


My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett 

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlin

"The Celebrated Jumping Frog" by Mark Twain (short story)

"Yowlinin" and "Rite of Spring" (short stories) from Black Juice by Margo Lanagan

I read the first novella, "Jubilee Express" by Maureen Johnson from Let It Snow (a book of 3 interconnected holiday romances, each written by a different YA author - John Green and Lauren Myracle are the other two authors).

I also read the first 80 pages of Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan, and I fell asleep after the first section of short stories from More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories #2) by Alvin Schwartz




*************************************************



I watched/listened to quite a few children's books on the YouTube Channel, Storyline Online, on my Smart TV as a way of taking little breaks while still "reading" at the same time. 


Image result for storyline online


Storyline Online - Actors read aloud a children's book while the video shows the illustrations from the book, which are edited to move as if you are watching an animated short film. At the end of the read aloud, the actors talk briefly about what they love about the book and the lesson it gives. 

It's an amazing, FREE site. Each read aloud is between 5 to 15 minutes long.


Image result for storyline online


Here are the list of books that I watched and listened to on Storyline Online :

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss *****

No More Noisy Nights by Holly L. Niner *****

Quackerstein Hatches a Family by Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen ***

The Night I Followed the Dog by Nina Laden ***

Guji Guji by Chih-Yuan Chen ***** (LOVED This One So Much!!)

I Need My Monster and Hey, That's MY Monster! by Amanda Noll ***** (for both)

Lotus and Feather by Ji-Li Jiang ****

The House That Jane Built: A Story about Jane Addams by Tanya Lee Stone *****

Please Please the Bees by Gerald Kelley ****



****************************************************

BINGO 




Nearly got Black Out. . . I was having trouble with my computer's wifi/internet connection this weekend, but if I'd had internet, I think I could have done it.

My "New Book" was Undying by Michel Faber (poems), so rather easy to get through if motivated to Black Out the BINGO board (I fell asleep right before I planned to get to it - around 4:15am in my time).

And as for the "Healthy Snack," I ended up just having Taco Bell throughout the day . . . HOWEVER, I have Greek Yogurt in the fridge, so again, if I'd been motivated . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment