Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Review: Famous Last Words

Image result for famous last words book  
    Title: Famous Last Word

   Author: Katie Alender

   Pages: 320

   Rating: 3.5 stars


Goodreads Summary: Hollywood history, mystery, murder, mayhem, and delicious romance collide in this unputdownable thriller from master storyteller Katie Alender.

Willa is freaking out. It seems like she's seeing things. Like a dead body in her swimming pool. Frantic messages on her walls. A reflection that is not her own. It's almost as if someone -- or something -- is trying to send her a message.

Meanwhile, a killer is stalking Los Angeles -- a killer who reenacts famous movie murder scenes. Could Willa's strange visions have to do with these unsolved murders? Or is she going crazy? And who can she confide in? There's Marnie, her new friend who may not be totally trustworthy. And there's Reed, who's ridiculously handsome and seems to get Willa. There's also Wyatt, who's super smart but unhealthily obsessed with the Hollywood Killer.

All Willa knows is, she has to confront the possible-ghost in her house, or she just might lose her mind . . . or her life.

Acclaimed author Katie Alender puts an unforgettable twist on this spine-chilling tale of murder, mystery, mayhem -- and the movies. 

My Thoughts: This book would probably have been 4 or 5 stars if I had read it a few years back when I was really into YA. I've, unfortunately, outgrown the genre, but there are the rare exceptions that I still find surprisingly entertaining, and so I continue adding YA books that I think sound interesting to my to-read list. They are often a quick fluff read that can be a nice way to pass a lazy afternoon, if anything, but there have been more and more that turn out to just be a waste of time - I don't think that means the YA genre is getting worse, but just that I'm getting over it.

I am more willing to try ghost stories, though, such as this one. The haunting scenes were some of the best in the book (if this had been a more serious book, I think it could have verged into a psychological thriller, as well, once Willa began to doubt her sanity after having so many 'hallucinations' and 'episodes'). I found the twists really predictable, but Willa was refreshingly realistic and well-written. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy paranormal YA and YA murder mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment